Mold Remediation in Fort Mill and Insurance
SERVPRO Mold Remediation for Your Fort Mill Home
Once there is mold growth or the hint of mold growth in you Fort Mill home, you must file a mold insurance claim quickly, and with a good amount of attention to detail. In the past decade, mold remediation procedures for homes have gotten better, but more expensive, so insurance carriers are now more reticent to cover this type of damage.
Mold Insurance Claims
In previous years, home damage due to mold was covered when the cause was an occurrence that was covered in the homeowner's policy, such as storm damage or broken pipes. However, it was not covered when it happened due to unforeseen circumstances. The actual awareness of mold infestations increased due to more information on the topic in recent years. Coverage for mold remediation and removal is now hard to get, no matter what the underlying cause, because of the expenses.
The Filing Process
If your home has water damage, tell your insurance carrier immediately. They will send professionals, it's a good idea to suggest SERVPRO, who specialize in removing water and dehumidifying your Fort Mill home immediately. The process needs to start within one to two days, because mold proliferates 48-72 hours after the initial growth. Mold remediation and removal should be dealt with immediately.
Once you have spoken with your insurance agent, do the following:
• Measure all of the surfaces affected by the water. Take photos of everything that is wet, and make a detailed list.
• Measure high water marks on the walls, and make note of them.
• When you meet with the insurance adjuster, show him or her your pictures and notes. If there is a conflict, request an explanation and write it down. Ask the adjuster to read and sign it. Mold grows rapidly, so materials need to be properly dried or removed to prevent on-going issues.
• Ask for moisture meters to be used to assess the dried and cleaned areas to make sure that they are dry.
If mold remains after the cleanup, this may be an indication of incorrectly cleaned areas. If this happens:
• Make a log, including location and date.
• Take photos.
• Look over your insurance policy.
• Request more drying and cleaning from your insurance agent to prevent further spreading of the mold. Ask for a moisture content analysis to assess what else needs to be done. Take note here: SERVPRO works with many insurance companies and adjusters. Our trained mold remediation technicians will treat your home with equipment for moisture removal, air-filtration of the interior environment, and antifungal and antibacterial products. We have special moisture meters and hygrometers for post-service inspection and will provide you with documentation indicating standard moisture readings in you home have been achieved.
Mold contamination can become a major health issue and cause damage to your home in Fort Mill. SERVPRO's unparalleled treatment protocol will keep you safe from toxic mold and your property structure intact.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (803) 324-5780
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Rock Hill & York County is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of the Fort Mill community. When you have a water or mold damage issue, we’re already nearby and ready to help.
We are also part of a national network of over 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams strategically located throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.